Tuesday, July 4, 2023

GJ's Review of "West Heart Kill" by Dan McDorrman

Thank you to NetGalley and Knopf, Pantheon, Vintage and Anchor Publishing for giving me an advance copy. All thoughts and opinions are mine!






DNF at 12%. I think this one is really going to be a personal preference book. Yes, I know as a reviewer that all books come down to personal preference but it feels more true with this book. 


I knew when I picked it up that the style would be more meta-textural style and that it won't move in the standard of mysteries. I approached it, ready for the ride but unfortunately, the book's tone really put me off. There are two "narrators", a third-person narrator following McAnnis, our lead, and a second-person narrator that directly addresses the audience and is fully aware that this is a murder mystery. 

This second-person narration is what puts me off because it's not inviting or enticing. It's too teasing and a little too "Oh, aren't I clever?" at times. It feels less enticing and more like someone trying too hard to seem mysterious and quirky. 

When the narrator switched to the third-person and a more traditional style, it was easier to flow with the book but the moment it shifted, it just pulled me out of it. Yes, I know McDorrman is trying something different intentionally here. I'm just not a fan of it. 

Maybe if I heard this book on audiobook, I'd be more forgiving, especially with a skilled voice actor. 

If this book rocks your world, I wouldn't be shocked but for me, the tone isn't my cup of tea.

(That said, there's a character who seems cunning named Meredith Blake and I need someone else to tell me if they immediately thought of The Parent Trap remake. Just me? That's fair)


TW: Alcholism, ableist phrases, mentions of forced institutionalism. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The History of WednesdayBookClub

Welcome!  My name is GJ and this is my blog! This is just a quick intro/ history of for any newcomers