Tuesday, February 6, 2024

What I Want to Read in 2024

It's 2024! While my 2023 reads were a little lackluster, I'm looking forward to this new year. I've been expanding my reading 





I recently saw my friend Renay post her anticipated reads for 2024 and in a stroke of genius, they're all backlog books. New releases get all of the attention but really, I have a giant TBR that I've been trying to whittle down since 2020. It's an act of futility but it's not going to stop me. 


Nearly all of these are on my backlist because new releases get all of the love and honestly, I'm broke so library loans are at least 80% of my reads.



1. Murder in Westminster by Vanessa Riley 





The first of many new writers on this list for me and the first BIPOC writer. I've heard good things about Riley's romance books but I'm also a sucker for mysteries as well. Blend that together with a marriage of convenience and you've got my attention. 


2 Never Blow A Kiss by Lindsay Lovsie





This is the one recently released book on this list but in my defense, it's the first in a series about a group of spy governesses. Can you honestly blame me? Plus, look at this cover!  


3 When No One Is Watching by Alyssa Cole





I feel like I'm the last person to read an Alyssa Cole book. I kept seeing people talk about this and her other romance books. Drawn by my desire to support more BIPOC writers and the appeal of reading an urban twist of a Hitchcock classic, I'm very curious about this book. 



4 Getting Rid of Bradley by Jennifer Crusie



Not sure who all knows this but Agnes and the Hitman by Jennifer Crusie and Bob Mayer is one of my favorite reads. It's been a while since I've reread but it was a banger the last time I read it. It's been awhile since I've read a Jennifer Crusie book too.


Welp, imagine my delight when I saw some of the book bloggers I follow gush about this book. It's been a while since I've read a standalone romance book so I'm excited about this one. (Yes, the love interest is a cop but I'm willing to suspend disbelief for this one)



5 This Is How You Lose the Time War by Amal El-Mohtar and Max Gladstone




I want the record to show that this has been on my TBR before the infamous Bigolas Dickolas Wolfwood tweet. That said, it has moved up my list after that list. I don't even know why I haven't gotten around to it other than the evil hamster in my head is a jerk.


Still, this is a book I don't know much about and I'm looking forward to this read



6 House of X/Power of X by Jonathan Hickman





I've never read an X-Men comic. Like, ever. Admittedly, the list of comics I have read isn't extensive but I'm a little annoyed that I haven't even touched one of the biggest names in comics when I've read a whole run of The Eternals AND Inhumans. When I asked my comic book-reading friends about entry points for the iconic team, this is one that they gave me. I just hope I can keep up



7 MORE MURDERBOT!! 





All of my friends have caught up with the series and book 7 comes out this year.  Plus a friend might be writing fanfic about a character I haven't met yet and I've seen her outline. I need to meet this character. To quote the '95 Pride and Prejudice, "I must have my share in the conversation". 



8 Days of Future Past by Chris Claremont 




I've heard great things about Claremont's X-Men run and this feels like a good place to start. I loved the movie, despite the wonkiness of the timeline (*Cough* and the felonious nature of the director *Cough*.) That said, I'm a little worried about where exactly this is in the IRL X-Men timeline and if I should start earlier than this



9 Mr. Malcolm's List by Suzanne Allain





Yes, I know there's been a movie adaption of it but I'm mostly inspired to read it after the short film from Emma Holly Jones. I'm a sucker for regency/victorian romances and I love an arrogant man humbled by love.

And yes, I will be racebending the characters as I read the book. I do what I want. 



10 An Absolutely Remarkable Thing by Hank Green



A big fan of the Vlogbrothers, this has been on my TBR for a while. Still, seeing people reference the social media elements of the book after the past 3 years has piqued my interest. Hank has openly talked about his thoughts about the internet, social media and parasocial relationships so I'm excited to see what he says in the book. I already know that the bok ends on a cliffhanger but thankfully, there is a sequel. 







No comments:

Post a Comment

The History of WednesdayBookClub

Welcome!  My name is GJ and this is my blog! This is just a quick intro/ history of for any newcomers