Tuesday, March 7, 2023

WednesdayBookClub: 03/08/22

Another week of Twitter slowly sinking beneath our digital feet! Oh, Musky, you are not the Lex Luthor I was promised...Anyway, let's talk about books. 






This week, I read Lauren Wilkinson's A Scandal in Brooklyn. It's a short story on Amazon exclusive and it was really good. It kinda frames itself as a Sherlock pastiche but if you ignore the title and the fact that our lead is named Irene Adler, it's not much Sherlock-iness.

That said, it's just a good closed-door mystery and I love the cast. It's only about 45 pages but if Wilkinson comes out with more books/shorts with them, I'm absolutely down for it. Irene is great, Tom is rightfully suspicious of everyone and Shinwell is the best.

I also finished Martha Wells' All System Red, the first book in the Murderbot series. I've heard great things about the series and I see why. Wells writes in a simple and clear manner and gives what could have been a one-note joke into a heartfelt and complex character. Murderbot is easily the most complicated character in the book and not just because we're in its head. 

I've picked Killers of a Certain Age back up. The comparison to the Golden Girls is pretty off. It does a good job not making it "Red: The unofficial spinoff" while not being a somber affair. It's nothing really knocking me off with greatness yet but I'm willing to rock with it a little longer. I'm about 30% in. 


What about you all? Anything good in the past week?


No comments:

Post a Comment

The History of WednesdayBookClub

Welcome!  My name is GJ and this is my blog! This is just a quick intro/ history of for any newcomers