Thursday, January 11, 2024

GJ Reviews: "Everyone on This Train Is a Suspect" by Benjamin Stevenson

 Thank you to NetGalley and Mainer Books for giving me an advanced reader copy! All thoughts and opinions are my own.




Earlier this year, I read Stevenson's previous book, "Everyone In My Family Has Killed Someone" because that's a really eye-catching title. I picked it up on audiobook and after what I thought was a slow start, really enjoyed the book. (I was a little disappointed that it wasn't about a family of assassins but it is what it is.)




When I saw the sequel on NetGalley, I immediately requested it because not only did I like Steveson's writing style but I also wanted to catch up with Ern, our (mostly) reliable narrator and protagonist.



Summary according to GJ: Approximately 2 years after the disastrous family reunion of the first book, Ernest Cunningham and his SO Juliette have both written books about their experience. Ernest gets invited to a mystery writers' convention that is taking place on the historical Afghan Express ("The Ghan" as it's often called). Caught between his Imposter Syndrome, writer's block, and the strange atmosphere between the writers, a special guest suddenly dies. Seriously, Ernest hasn't found himself among another murder mystery, right?


Right?


Review: I feel like saying if you liked the first book, you'll also enjoy this one is a copout. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely think it's true but let's go a little bit deeper. 


When I saw the sequel on NetGalley, I immediately requested it because not only did I like Steveson's writing style but I also wanted to catch up with Ern, our (mostly) reliable narrator and protagonist. Ern spends a significant amount of the plot assuring the reader that he's not messing with us and that he stumbled over many of the red herrings that tripped us up.


I appreciate that Steveson tries to give the reader a fair shot. I'm the type of reader who will fixate on any small details in a mystery. Which is fun but can be punished by certain writers. Stevenson, however, trims the excess details and will have tallies for a specific thing to make sure you remember. It gives me a more narrow field to focus on so I can actually remember everything and when Ern does his big denouncement, I keep up with him as he goes around the room.


I also appreciate that Ern is an idiot. Not in a "YOU FOOL, THE CLUE IS RIGHT THERE!" type of way but in a "I love you but please get your head out of your butt" way. Part of this book discusses the bittersweet nature of writing a second book. To quote Linkin Park "Even a blueprint is a gift and a curse....Everybody wants the next thing to be just like the first". 


The mixture of Ernest's dread of writing a second book as well as his PTSD has Ern on edge for most of the book. It's very understandable from a human prescriptive and even helps you understand the other characters on the train. The treacherous waters of the publishing industry are very much a plot point of the story. The other writers are all kind of Ernest but ones who gave into their cynicism and isolation so seeing our very flawed and squishy hero get out of his own way is rewarding.


(That said, I did reach a point where Ern's stupidity was just too much and put the book on ice for a while. It was like watching dashcam footage where you see the wreck about to happen and you're stuck stomping on your imaginary brakes. That scene was rough but well done to Stevenson for making me feel VERY real feelings.)


In the end, some of the meta stuff occasionally got too much but I really did like this book.  I give this book 4.5 stars


"Everyone on This Train Is a Suspect" comes out on January 30, 2024!


TW: Mentions of sexual assault, mention of sexual assault of a minor, suicide, sexual harassment, murder, blood, vomit, handling of a dead body, alcoholism, PTSD



No comments:

Post a Comment

The History of WednesdayBookClub

Welcome!  My name is GJ and this is my blog! This is just a quick intro/ history of for any newcomers